Saturday, January 4, 2014

0. Lucky Wander Boy by D. B. Weiss

Two distinctions: this is the only novel by Game of Thrones (TV) co-creator Weiss; and this is the first book I read on my new Kindle Paperwhite!

The Kindle will have me coming back for more; Weiss...stick to TV, buddy.

Here's what I wrote on Goodreads:

The book as described is not what was written. Oh sure, it started that way, and was very engaging, humorous. But as it continued, that lighter quality, a playful satire of geek obsession, vanished. It got depressing, and with no likable character to anchor the story, faltered. I think those who want to find profound meaning in the intersection of their childhood angst and video game obsession will praise this book. But unless you find yourself damaged by society for your 16-bit habit, this book won't resonate.

Not as favorable as I could be.

My issues stem from the main character, Adam Pennyman, being not only less-than-dynamic, but a sad sack that I just didn't care about. His "Catalogue of Obsolete Entertainment" is a lot of fun, interesting as a series of interludes, nicely assembled. In his desire to complete the catalogue, he must uncover more information on the near-mythical arcade game "Lucky Wander Boy," a fever dream Japanese import that defies easy categorization. The book flap, on his quest's difficulty:
But even with the help of a plucky fellow game-head named Clio, such a reckless expedition will require the agility of Pac-Man, the nerves of Mario, and the tenacity of Frogger. Not to mention, a whole lot of luck.


Sounds fun, a little irreverent. Video game nostalgia is a growing sub-genre of pop fiction (or maybe sci-fi/speculative; perhaps the delayed Bildungsroman), and when I discovered and bought this book (on sale) based on it's quirky description, I expected a lighter story, a little mad-cap, with some good satire and a small amount of personal growth. It simply wasn't described as a heavy book, or depressing.

Which is, unfortunately, what it becomes. It almost verged on existential horror, as Adam gropes for meaning in his life, with the only hope (in his mind) resting on a video game no one remembers. If he can find the creator, finish the book, put this behind him.... By the closing pages, I was hoping he would crack his nut in some small way and not leave us in a psychological dark room.

As I said, it starts down the road with good, snarky cheer. The cast of characters are all entertaining, the game studio setting perfect for what he had planned. I am quite sorry it fell apart by the end.

The cover quote is by his GoT co-creator, David Benioff. He also tries to tie Michael Chabon to this (..."does for video games what Michael Chabon did for comics."), and I could not stress the differences more. You actually care about Chabon's characters, plot and resolution.


2.5/5

(One positive: I really liked the Kindle Paperwhite's reading experience. Highly recommended.)

-EMH

No comments:

Post a Comment